Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"The Science of Shopping" Malcolm Gladwell

1. Gladwell addresses the idea that human behavior in retail can be analyzed in several ways and be used as the seller's advantage. Therefore, the design of a retail store matters just as much as the design of the product it is selling. Anyalsizing the behavior of what people want to shop for is necessary information to set up a store accordingly. If the retail store wants to sell their product they will do so in any way possible. For example, the Polo Ralph Lauren is set up to mimic a men's club creating the kind of atmosphere that the brand has interest in conveying to appeal to certain customers.
2. I am influenced by a store's design in so much as I am more willing and interested in entering a store if it is organized, simple, but also appeals to my taste. A store's design, on the other hand, does not influence whether I to buy or not to buy.
3. My checklist would include the following:

  • Amount of clutter
  • Simplicity
  • Organization 
  • Variety
  • Color
  • Spaciousness 
  • Atmosphere (is it to my liking)  
  • Employees politeness, friendliness and helpfulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment