Saturday, September 25, 2010

Emotional Design - Norman

1. Norman details three parts of a design that make in successful. He address these key points as visceral, behavioral, and reflective. I think Norman is saying that although we may judge a product by its appearance, practicality, and cost. Consumers also consider how it makes them feel, and what type of memory has been created with that object/product. Even though an important aspect of design is appearance, more importantly is how consumers use the product.
2. In this chapter, Norman takes a boarder view of design. Concepts, mentioned in The Design of Everyday Things, such as natural design, conceptual model, and feedback are crucial, but they make up the visceral, behavioral, and reflective aspects of design.  In this chapter Norman focuses more on how a product attracts a customer and the emotion behind the relationship between the product and the consumer, rather than the functionality of a given product.
3. 1) The Porsche 911 Carrera succeeds visceral design, for me. Even though I have never driven in the car I am simply attractive to the style of the car; my reaction is typically "Wow, I like it" when I see it.
    2) Products that succeed as behavioral design are tools, such as hammer, screw drivers, nails, screws, etc. When I use these products, I use them solely for their usability. I do not choose one hammer over another based on its look.
    3) A necklace I received for my 18th birthday is a product that has succeeded as reflective design. I really love the necklace I was gifted, I associate much more to that product than the product itself.

The Porsche 911 Carrera succeeds as visceral design because of its reputation as a luxurious product with a sleek design and high performance. I believe tools succeed as behavioral design because they are simply designed for usability. I believe the only difference between two of the same tools may just be that one fits better to your hand gripping... but this goes back to usability, not appearance. My necklace has succeeded as reflective design because it is beautiful. Because the necklace is beautiful, I enjoy wearing it. When I wear it I feel special, and I am reminded of all those who support and believe in me, and I am reminded of the memories created that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment