Monday, September 27, 2010

Emotional Design (Part 2)

1. "Package designers and brand managers are looking beyond graphic elements or even the design as a whole to forge an emotional link between consumers and brands." "People keep the empty bottles, sometimes refilling them with tap water, which, of course, demonstrates that the entire success of the product lies in its package, not its contents."

The previous sentences come from a passage I found interesting, detailing the design of water bottles. Water is a necessity for living, therefore it seems like it would not matter what type of container it comes in. In one respect, some brands of water, have become more than water. Its seems like water has become classy through a few name brands, although it is still water. This passage also intrigued me because it gave insight of how human behavior is a little peculiar. Sometimes consumers are drawn to some things and not others.

2. Each of these categories fulfills, and also describes, a category of design, especially to how one relates to a product. If I think about it, I am initially drawn to a product because I am drawn to the way it looks. After my initial attraction, I focus on the function and usability. This part is particularly important, to me, because I rarely buy something just because I like the way it looks. Lastly, I incorporate reflective design, because I consider how owning the product is reflected, and I also associate meaning with any given product. Behavioral and reflective design are names that fit the description of the category. I interpret behavioral as how something behaves, its function or use. When I read reflective design I automatically think about reflection, especially personal reflection. Visceral design requires more though, given the definition of visceral. An initial appeal to a product does come for inward from a connection draws you. When drawn to a products appearance, I do think about its use or its cost. Overall, I believe the names suit the description of each category.

3. To answer this question, I think it depends largely on the type of product being designed. I think the two most important are visceral and behavioral design because it applies to most products. The way I interpret reflective design, promotes the idea that reflective design cannot be created by a designer. I think reflective design that will either happen naturally with a product, or it will not. Products that I would associate with visceral design are anything related to appearance -- clothes, shoes and accessories.  Behavioral design is probably incorporated into hand tools and power. Lastly, judging products as fulfilling the category of reflective design is not something I think the designer can create. I believe each consumer establishes his or her own reflective design.

No comments:

Post a Comment